The publisher advises to obtain copyright permissions as early as possible, as problems can occur. If permissions are not gained by the time the manuscript is ready to be sent to the Production Editor, this can delay the book's publication.
So, with this advice in hand I'm aiming to gain copyright permission from a journal owner, when the journal has sadly gone out of pubication. In it's day the journal was the widely read, so was influential. However, its ownership passed to another group before it went out of print; ownership now seems to reside with a marketing company. So here's the beginning of a problem. As I aim to quote from this source quite readily I simply have to gain permission.
I'll be letting you know how things go - maybe I'm anticipating a problem that might not occur. Let's hope so!